Tuesday, May 1, 2012

C&C continued

O.K., so where did I leave off...oh yeah, I don't like Stan"the man"Lee. I do not like superhero comic books anymore. I have not purchased a comic that was not printed on the order of 20 years ago, in the last 15 years. Something happened to the comic industry in the early 90's that robbed me of the fun and enjoyment a new issue used to bring. As it was I thought I was getting to read a continuing story of a fictional character but the realization crept up more and more that I was being sold something. It was no longer good enough to follow along with the monthly issues and once a year grab the annual ish., now I was encouraged and persuaded to buy up all manner of "special" issues, and "what if" type issues and an issue with an alternative cover and an issue that was a prequel to the new format of an existing character or storyline etc. It all got to a point I could not afford to keep up with even half of the titles I used to collect. I quickly tried to narrow down what titles I could live without and what I must have but I sank into despair with the "keeping up" anyway and finally just gave it up.

 Basically, the truth of what happened for me is that people like Stan "the man", but no one more-so then he, corrupted the whole genre from early on and there was a tipping point. The backlash of having underpaid the talent for so long and having stolen the rights to creative works for so long had the effect of an implosion on the industry as a whole. Things were heading into a direction of change as was but the infusion of the comic book speculator only served to throw the machine even further out of whack! The writers and artist deserved more of the pie...Stan Lee, the guy who reserved his real name for the great American novel that would never see publication took ownership of all creativity and the later Marvel artist seemed to have reveled into pulling as much cash out of the old man as was possible. He'd done the same thing to their predecessors, why not turn it around.

 Comics were not going to be the same after the talent turned in their love of the work into the search for fame and money. Yes, there are superhero movies being pumped out galore but in my opinion are mostly trash, made to make a quick buck and leave a bitter taste in the mouth of the old school fan. Pumping cash into comics, comic book characters etc. has not made them better in quality, probably the reverse is true. This is the same thing writ large that had crept into the field in the 1990's. It started with the first Batman movie, where it will end will probably be laughable...if you ask me. 

 Next post is where I start to use the blog the way I had intended, just didn't want to leave that last post hanging without an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment